I hope for them to be engaged in HOW nearly 100,000 slaves escaped slavery to their freedom and managed to not get caught. Some did, I am sure. But that is what I want them to think about. I want them to make relations about what they already know about slavery and the important people that were involved. If anyone has any closure activities for this, let me know! I think my hook will be discussing the important people/parts of a train station.
Tuesday, April 4, 2017
Week 6!!
Two weeks left everyone!! I try to do as much homework as I can while I am at work since I do not get my new computer until Saturday. BUT, I have my observation this Friday and I will be teaching a lesson over the Underground Railroad. I have a great strategy to use for their activity and I cant wait to see how it turns out. I will be using a web research chart for them to use for their activity. I will be showing them a 45 min movie on the UGRR on Thursday so maybe it can activate any prior knowledge about the Civil War and the events that contributed to the UGRR and Civil War. I will ask questions like "Who was Harriet Tubman and why was she important to the UGRR?" or "How did the UGRR contribute to the Civil War?" These types of questions are questions they can use in their web organizer. Here is an example of how it should look.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am so happy this session is almost over, I have two more classes after this for early summer and I'm done!
ReplyDeleteI love your mapping idea I think students will really like this. I like your hook as well, maybe a short film or pictures will work for the visual learners
I really like the web research chart, it is pretty versatile for a variety of topics. I think its a great choice for your lesson on the UGRR. While observing in the first grade classroom they are reading the American Girl series about Addy (slave girl that escaped with her mother from the plantation). I enjoyed hearing the comments from the students because the teacher had to explain what slavery was, this was a foreign concept for them. Love those little minds and how they think and rationalize new ideas.
ReplyDeleteGreat suggestions for a read aloud chapter book, Niki! Perfect to go along with an UGRR lesson.
DeleteMaci, I wonder how a simple double entry journal might work work for your hook and closure. It doesn't have to be an actual journal, just a piece of paper folded in half.
ReplyDeleteHI Maci, I love history and love this lesson idea! I wonder if it would be possible to do an activity where the students were challenged to go from the classroom to the gym or cafeteria without being spotted like the escaped slaves had to do on the UGRR (would it teach them to be sneaky?). There could be students assigned to watch for them and "capture" them:)
ReplyDeleteMy lesson plan presentation went great and the kids were so engaged and involved! Thank you everyone for the extra ideas! I did a short read aloud out of a book, used a DEJ for the hook and closure. Parker that would be an awesome idea!! Would've been funny to see for sure :)
ReplyDelete