For my first lesson plan, I would like this to be in first grade. I would like to do it in Math and discuss the value of money by identifying a penny, nickel, dime, and quarter. The standard would be GM-1C 2: Know the value of a penny, nickel, dime and quarter.
I would like to start out by introducing what a penny is and what it's worth is and build up to how many pennies make a nickel, then dime, to quarter and how many into a dollar. This lesson could take up to two in a half to three days to teach.
Here's a few videos I might use...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9vy7pnqRbZQ
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aajLkveG750
I would have different anchor charts for each coin. I really like anchor charts, I think they really get the students to participate as use as a reference for help if they need it.
I really love the lesson idea...unfortunately I think both videos are very slow...I could not finish watching them because I kept thinking of other things I needed to do. (the kids I work with are SPED kids, and I think they would not be able to sit still) I would try to either find some videos that hold their attention better or just use a different idea? I was thinking maybe having some of the actual/real money that they could take turns passing around and actually touching? That could be your anticipatory set/hook? Then whatever activities you had you could use fake money for so you don't have to worry about "sticky" fingers?
ReplyDeleteOf course, you know me! I love a good read aloud as a hook as well. There are some good ones I have used. "One Cent, Two Cents, Three Cents, New Cent" by Bonnie Worth and "The Penny Pot" by Stuart Murphy are a couple you might check out. There is also a great game you can play called "Coin Drop" where the students close their eyes and listen as you drop coins into an aluminum can (or anything that makes a noise) and then determine the worth.
ReplyDeleteThere is a great video that originates from ABC Mouse on YouTube over coins, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aajLkveG750 it might fit into your lesson plan!
ReplyDeleteThat's funny. That's exactly what my second lesson plan was about. I didn't know someone else was doing the same thing. I'm thinking of making 2 more within that same Time and Money unit to build upon that one so that the students will also understand well how to spend money (and be responsible with it). For the one I did already, I included a moment where the students would buy something from me with their two coins, for which they had to remember the value for. I think it would be a lot of fun in the classroom. I enjoy everyone else's ideas on the replies as well. We've got our creative juices flowing. ;)
ReplyDelete